Thursday, October 29, 2009

For Now, It's Hand Sanitizer

Local writer and mom, Joyce Heid, reports on her family’s bout with H1N1, or swine flu, in this special six-part blog.

H1N1 411: Part 4
By Joyce Heid

I think Dylan is in the clear. No fever, no diarrhea, and only a slight cough remains. He returned to school on Monday. Unfortunately I know that does not mean our family can stop worrying about H1N1.
My older son is 11 years old and is still considered to be vulnerable, not to mention myself and my husband.
More doses of the H1N1 vaccine have been released by the CDC and production has been increased. The CDC recommends that young people under the age of 24, including children, pregnant women, health care workers, and people with underlying health conditions receive the vaccine first.
Also, several Maryland school systems have started vaccinating students. My children attend a private school, so to get Matthew vaccinated, we have to look elsewhere.
That is easier said than done.
Our pediatrician does not have it. The Anne Arundel County Health Department website says all the H1N1 vaccine appointments are full. It also suggests signing up for Twitter updates. I keep searching the web…
I have a childhood friend I keep in touch with through Facebook. Her family recently moved to Thailand. Last week, her youngest son was diagnosed with a mild case of H1N1. His doctor prescribed Tamiflu, and she had no problems getting the prescription filled. I wonder what the H1N1 vaccine supply is like in Thailand.
In the meantime, our family will keep restocking hand sanitizer.
At least there’s one member of our household who should be safe. A week ago, our dog Chloe received her canine flu vaccine.

Do you wish to share your thoughts about the dealing with swine flu? Send your comments to Dianne@BaltimoresChild.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment